Thursday 4 November 2010

York's 311 Data Provides Window Into Complaints

In all my years living in New York, I utilized the City's all-purpose, non-emergency 311 system only once. Don't ask.
But I've always been a little fascinated by the concept. Seriously, anything I need, I can call you and you'll actually provide me with useful information/assistance or connect me to someone who can? I've wondered how many people bothered by the nuisances inherent in city life actually understand the distinction between a 911-worthy emergency and something that can be handled by 311. I would have loved to be the New York Times reporter who pulled this assignment back in May, sitting in as a 311 operator for a week.
There's some interesting information on the volume of particular kinds of complaints by time of day -- who would have thought that illegal parking complaints peak at 7 a.m.? And the article paints a pretty impressive picture of the Brave New World on the horizon in terms of gathering, coordinating, making public and making use of, the kind of citizen-driven information that systems like 311 are designed to collect.

No comments:

Post a Comment